Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

La mer.

I am endlessly inspired and comforted by the ocean.  I grew up inland and migrated to the coast as soon as I had the chance.  I have now been living on the coast for the past 10 years, starting on the east and moving to the west.  Both coasts have their own special magic and beauty, from the warm waters of the east coast to the picturesque sunsets of the west coast.  Over the years I have taken hundreds of pictures of the ocean, and thought I would compile some here today.  :) 





But more wonderful than the lore of old men and the lore of books is the secret lore of ocean.
H. P. Lovecraft



When anxious, uneasy and bad thoughts come, I go to the sea, and the sea drowns them out with its great wide sounds, cleanses me with its noise and imposes a rhythm upon everything in me that is bewildered and confused.- Rainer Maria Rilke











For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
- e.e. cummings





"My soul is full of longing
For the secret of the sea,
And the heart of the great ocean
Sends a thrilling pulse through me."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow



"The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace."
- Kate Chopin






We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea--whether it is to sail or to watch it--we are going back from whence we came."
- John F. Kennedy




"At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun."
- Anonymous




"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
- Jacques Cousteau





To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me. - Isaac Newton



Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air. - Ralph Waldo Emerson




"I could never stay long enough on the shore; the tang of the untainted, fresh, and free sea air was like a cool, quieting thought."
- Helen Keller



“Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think.”
- Robert Henri



No comments:

Post a Comment